Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sleep and Preemie Cloth!

Ahhhhhh, sleep. How I've missed you my old friend.

For the past three nights, the twins have blessed me with sleep. One (or both) of them having been sleeping for 6 hour stretches at night. Last night it was Claire. The night before, it was Ben. The night before they both slept all night. With just one twin to care for every 3 hours I was able to get some much needed rest and feel human again. Even if this is just a fluke, it's more than welcome. And let's be honest, my last two nurslings woke every 2 hours at night for the first year so I deserve this!

Today my friend Bree came to visit, bearing gifts in the form of Grande Mocha Starbucks and preemie cloth diapers! I have a whole drawer full of cloth that The Chicken Butts are too small for yet, so they've been in the newborn sposies I so thoughtfully bought prior to their arrival. In fact, Claire was too small for the newborn size until just the past couple of days and has had to have the amazingly expensive preemie Pampers. She's got a touch of a rash so I was extremely grateful to see 5 dozen preemie prefolds, massive amounts of basic preemie covers, and several adorable XS all in ones. It's so wonderful to see my two tiny babies in cloth! And the all in ones are sized from 6 pounds up to 12 so they should fit for a good while, at least on Claire who doesn't seem to eat nearly as much as her brother and I think will gain more slowly. Ben I expect to chunk up like all my other babies and be in mediums in no time.

Life is good. Being home with the kids is going more smoothly than I expected and I'm feeling really well. So well, in fact, that I'm sort of waiting for the unexpected shoe to drop. Nursing twins has equated an early end to postpartum bleeding. I imagine the amount of oxytocin in my system is insane. My nipples are not sore, I'm feeling some mild anxiety but nothing like I've had in the past, and my energy has nearly returned to normal. I could really use a nap around 3-4pm every afternoon and I'm toast by 10, but otherwise I'm great. I pray that this is the time I don't deal with depression and anxiety. I feel so relaxed! Maybe it's just having done this so many times before? I don't know, but I'm grateful for it; for however long it lasts.

I am so happy to log onto my email and see all the comments. I know I don't always respond but I do read and love getting them. I also love perusing my tracker, seeing the hits from as far away as Australia. It's a little strange that so many people are following our story! Blogging this experience has been so much fun, and so cathartic! I still look at them in wonder and it seems so surreal that they are here and the pregnancy is over. Funny, it seems like a long journey has ended and yet it's only just begun.

7 comments:

Judit said...

It's been fun for me too!! reading all about you. Glad you enjoy comments.
I hear you on the sizing. My newborns were 7 lbs give or take, and every NB or 0-3mo thing was ridiculously huge on them. Except for the standard receiving blankets which I was darned if I could swaddle them in. What's up with that?
Enjoy the teeny cloth! I used newborn prefolds last time too, and my 7lb4oz at birth baby outgrew them by week 6... How bittersweet that was...

Sarah said...

I am due June 10th and going to do cloth for the first time! I am so excited! :)

Abby said...

I love reading your blog, I've been lurking since I ran across it a few months ago :) Thanks for sharing this all with is, it gives me the hope and inspiration I need to pursue a HBA2C.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo Please post some pictures of your twinkies in cloth when you get a chance. ;) Laurette

Chelle said...

I'm so glad to hear that things are going well Mama! It's good to hear you believing in yourself as so many others do! I love reading your blogs and can't wait to go through this journey through your blog with you! Love ya mama!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love the photos!

earthmama said...

You are such an inspiration to me. You give me hope. Thank you!

earthmama