Tuesday, January 22, 2008
The Age of Viability
Friday we hit 22 weeks. Which means that the babies could, possibly, live outside my womb. Chances are not good, in fact they are overwhelmingly miserable. At this point, and at any point in the next 2-3 weeks, we would likely choose "comfort care" were they to be born. I feel like I am literally holding my breath until we hit 25 weeks. Even then, it's not like it would be a walk in the park. Actually, the general public has a very poor grasp of just how bad/hard it is to walk the NICU road. There is a lot of misconception about how well micro-preemies do because of the media coverage surrounding those that live. Even if they made it, there would be brain damage, learning and physical disabilities, often sight and hearing problems. All things we can live with but would rather just they stay put. I'll breath a lot easier at 25 weeks and then again at 28 and 30. By 32 weeks, usually, you're out of the woods. I can say for sure though, they are good size. My belly grows every single night while I am sleeping. This morning it's up under my ribs. Usually reserved for 32 weeks! I keep wondering if we didn't miss one in there.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have been thinking about you guys everyday. I hope you make it to 36 week gestation at least. I can't believe how much your belly has popped...wow...LOL. Loved the u/s pics too :) Take care!
Post a Comment