Friday, October 3, 2008

Cloth Galore!

I finally have enough diapers in this house to go 2-3 days without washing! That's been my goal from the beginning and I've been very slowly adding to the coffers since the twins were born. We started with a very small stash and I was only able to put them on the babies a few times a day. I relished seeing their little booties in cloth though! Then we moved, and I was using ONLY money sucking toss-away paper diapers. I almost gave up! I justified it to myself by saying I had three in diapers. I had twins. I just moved. I do laundry for 8 people already. But every stinkin pack of Huggies I had to spend money on was killing me. And every time I threw a diaper in the trash I felt like I was burning my money.

There are lots of other good reasons to use cloth diapers. They are better for the environment. They're cute. They're cheaper (they don't have to be cheaper but the potential is there, especially if you buy used). And seriously, would you wear paper underware? Then why would you put that on your baby? Izzy loves her soft, comfy cotton diapeys. There is also some concern about chemicals used in "sposies". I know Hannah was particularly sensitive to them.

So I know all those things but at the time it was just easier to use Huggies.

And then my friend Sara came over. She uses cloth with her twin girls and I just loved her system. I decided to kick my hodge podge out of the house and build ONE complete diapering system that all three kids can use.

I bought a dozen of these in size small and Sara loaned me another dozen. Then I bought 4 of these for the twins and my friend Nikki gave me a GARBAGE BAG full of wool longies and soakers and a ton of fitteds to go underneath. All for Isabella! So she was set. Then I found 20 of of the Kissaluvs Contours in a larger size on an online forum for a steal of a price (Ben has quite the cheeky butt) and I purchased a Little Beetle Merino Wool Soaker Shorts to wear over them at nighttime (it's so yummy!). Yesterday I purchased a dozen more premium prefolds for Isabella because she's figured out how to get the fitteds off but still doesn't have a grasp on the Snappi--yet. I also snapped up two more wool soakers for five dollars for B&C. Unheard of price!

So now I have a very complete, very simple stash:

Isabella has 2 dozen premium sized prefolds which I Snappi on her and then cover with either Gerber plastic pants (yes, those same things our mothers used years ago--cheap and she's less likely to take them off) or something wool with a tie that I double knot. ;) She also has a few fitteds here and there that we try to convince her to keep on her booty (with limited success).

Claire has 2 dozen small Kissaluvs Contours which are just flat, shaped diapers that wrap around and then get snappied in place. She has two Thirsties covers in pink and lavendar and two small wool soakers made out of old sweaters. One in pink stripe and one in green.

They share 2 dozen infant sized prefolds that we've had foreva!

Ben has 20 large Kissaluvs Contours, one very cool skull and cross bones fitted, the Little Beetle soaker shorts and a wool soaker made out of an old sweater in addition to his blue and red Thirties covers.

And then we have a variety of old Bum Genius 1.0 pocket diapers with stuffers that we use for wash day and to fill in the holes. Those were Isabella's when she was a baby and are still holding up just fine after about a billion washes. They are starting to get a bit snug on her, though.

So there you go. Those of you who know nothing about cloth diapers are a bit more educated and those that do are thinking--shit that's a lot of diapers! They have their own little cabinet that's stuffed full of sweet smelling diapers after wash day ends. I've heard fabulous things about Maggie's Soap Nuts so I'm hoping to purchase a sack this month and avoid any build up problems as we have really hard water here. I go through a big box of borax once a month.

My only wants right now are about a dozen more Snappi's (we have three and I'm always hunting for a missing one), a couple of various sized wet bags (this one is so yummy), and a big bottle of Tea Tree Oil. Oh and these, which are out of stock everywhere but look oh so yummy!

It's nice to know that I never have to spend another dollar on diapers that I don't want to and honestly, with what we were loaned, given, and my stellar bargain shopping I've diapered these three kids for less than $250! That includes the wool wash, liquid lanolin, Snappi's, and all the diapers!

And there is just nothing cuter than a baby booty covered in cloth:

Booties

4 comments:

Heather said...

we are in cloth and wool overload. we have around 70 something prefolds, 30 fitteds, and more wool than I can count anymore. We probably have about 30ish pieces of wool-including soakers, shorties, longies, skirts, dresses, etc. let me know what you still need as sadly we are outgrowing and are going to have to size up! OH and have you tried Ewe Need It liquid lanolin and wool wash? my favorites and the smells are to die for! we've used cloth only for a long time now!

Anonymous said...

Use up all your old towels and washcloths, old 100% cotton T-shirts, sweatshirts, wool sweaters, FLANNEL shirts, FLANNEL sheets, FLANNEL baby blankets, etc. and make DIAPERS and wipes and waterproof covers from them.

Join FREECYCLE.org and ask for any of the above mentioned items and you will probably gets lots of FREE items to recycle into cloth diapers for your three precious little ones.

Goodwill stores are great places to find these items too. Tell all of your friends and family to send you their old stuff and have everyone keep an eye out for what you need at garage sales.

Diapers pins are available at Wallmart right by where you purchase the Gerber plastic pants and they work wonderfully and are lots less expensive than the snapi.

You can purchase wonderful covers, ProWraps from the company ProService. Call 1-800-397-594
$4.75 each cover and S&H is $6.10

I purchased all the covers I would need at one time to save on S&H.

These covers are great; you can fold a prefold diaper and put it inside the prowrap and you don't even need pins or a snapi.
==================================


http://sewingclothnappies.com/?page_id=6

http://www.diapersewing.com/prefold.htm

http://allaboutclothdiapers.com/how-to-make-cloth-diapers/

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/clothdiapers.htm

http://goodnessgraciousdiaper.wordpress.com/

http://sewdiapers.com/showthread.php?t=47



http://fuzbaby.com/articles/makeyourown_clothdiapers.htm

http://katrinassqs.blogspot.com/2008_02_17_archive.html
=================================
Diaper patterns, Wetbags, etc.
http://angprice522.blogspot.com/
=================================
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69871475.tip.html
=================================
LARGE diapers: http://www.ottobredesign.com/en/print/pdf/vaippa_en.pdf
=================================
I have been using microfiber towels from Sam's Club, they sell for
$10 pkg, w/25 to a pack, for a medium or large I usually use one
towel. They make a great soaker, that I stitch to the middle of the
diaper on the wrong side then sew and turn the diaper.
==================================

The easiest diapers to make are flats and prefolds, they also wash more thoroughly and dry faster.

==================================
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1981-03-01/An-Indoor-Clothes-Dryer.aspx
==================================
I hope you find the information helpful.

Diapers don't need to be cute or fancy. I LOVE cloth diapers!

Heather said...

Hey! I started going thru all of my diapers yesterday and I will finish today! I will let you know this evening what all I have and will try to get pictures for you! Also on wool, if you can't find much of what you want let me know! i can knit soakers, shorties, skirties, longies, etc. i buy hand dyed and kettle dyed wool any color I want and make custom fit! Which is always nice. it takes me about 2 days to make 1.
and i love ewe need it! that's all i use now! even the pail powder! we use only wool here so we have TONS of it! i can give you lots of wool tips!

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

Ahh, so glad to see you are using cloth again! I would offer to make you some diapers and wetbags but by the time I got around to doing it there is a good chance all of your children will be potty trained!

I'm also impressed by your ability to diaper so cheaply! I'm too lazy to do prefolds and covers so we use a lot of pockets.

And any day that you are sick of changing diapers, just think of me. I have 5 in diapers right now. And I am losing my mind. Seriously.

:)