I realize 6 children in 6 years is not for everyone.
I respect that sometimes, there are more little people needs than my ability to grant them and that really does suck on those days.
I really am not super mom. I promise. I scream and yell and rant at my tiny children, I (rarely) ignore the babies crying when I'm so touched out I can't think of holding one more kid, I pretty much plan to never have sex with my husband ever again even though he's got no more swimmers, and taking care of myself has gotten shoved so far to the back burner that it actually fell off the stove and I didn't notice.
But I did have the choice to have this family and I love every second of it (ok, most of the seconds). It's hard, it's chaotic, but it's right for me. I wish more folks could respect that decision.
And now, time for some twin cuteness.

Oh wait, that's Izzy picking her nose. Let me try again.....

Aren't they all funny? Now you know why I feel like I have a Big Three and a Little Three. There is only a 21 month split between Izzy and Noah but it sure makes a difference.
I've been kind of obsessed with little teeny baby parts lately. They grow so darn quickly.
I've been kind of obsessed with little teeny baby parts lately. They grow so darn quickly.

11 comments:
Shout out to meeeeeee!!!! I am the eldest of six. I love big families. <3
The one of the 6 of them could seriously win awards! They're so darn cute!
okay, i "only" have 4. but, AMEN! each one brings more chaos, yet more serenity-lifes meaning gets very clear! i dont think i'll stop just yet either haha!
I came here via mothering. I am a mom of just four little ones (don't get to say that often) and belong to the four in five years. I am always amazed at the comments.
I think a big family is awesome. I think we are done (four is a lot of work) but sometimes I just think maybe we will get one more oops in there.
Congrats on the lovely large family - you are blessed.
LOVE the picture with all six. They have changed so much in the time I have known you. You are right, having six kids isn't for everyone but I'm sure glad there are other families out there that share the same desires as we do :)
I love your six-pack (especially since I told you after you were 'done' with four that you were going to get pregnant with twins!) and I think that picture of them is absolutely adorable. :)
I just sent that article to my mother. Now I'm awaiting her nasty phone call. :)
I'm with you 110%!
Hello,
I'm visiting your blog from a link on my daughter's blog. Congratualtion on all six blessings from God! Don't let anyone every discourage you, you and your husband just have more faith in God that HE KNOWS the number of children HE wants you to have. Every baby is a blessing from God, healthy or not.
I noticed that on one of your posts that you were needing a larger vehicle; my church is selling their 15 passenger, Ford van, it has 40,000 miles on it, a 1999. My husband is the Pastor and he has taken great care of the van keeping it well maintained. You can call him at the church if you are interested in looking at it. Trailwood Baptist Church, 972-641-7040, Grand Prairie.
God bless your adorable family.
Chantel,
You know I adore you and your family. I LOVED that article. Your kids are lucky to have you and all of their siblings.
I wouldn't have had it any other way growing up. And I actually felt like my friends who had less then 3 siblings were being robbed of the joys of a huge family!
Chantel,
I don't get it! The article did the complete opposite for me: it made me sad! Why is there such an emphasis on "choosing" to have a big family instead of being thankful for being blessed with such a wonderful family? I guess I understand that not everyone feels that they can have a big family, but I do not like the emphasis on "choice." I guess it's just my own cringing at our country's decision of what the word "choice" implies. How can any parent be "pro-choice"? Your babies are blessings! As the youngest of a big family, I guess that I should be even more grateful that my parents didn't get hung up on choice. Please tell me you aren't pro-choice!
I love big families! Your family seems awesome!
I am absolutely about choice!
I have it in my heart to mother a large family. Not everyone does. And I would rather a woman (or family, whatever) be honest about that with herself and CHOOSE to have a smaller family but mother them well.
It's a difficult discussion, really. I do believe that God is growing me as a person through my children. They are busy and fun and exhausting and completely overwhelming. I do not do it with the grace that is depicted often in news articles about Quiverful families. There are many days (yesterday being one of them....what is up with Holidays!?) when I am frazzled and completely run ragged with what has to be done.
But because this is my CHOICE, and not something foisted upon me by a husband or religion, I am happy and confident in my life. This is what I wanted.
On the other side of the coin, I do see what you're saying about our society being very shallow and making these choices based on things like "if we only have one child we'll be able to spoil him/her with every lavish material item out there". Not my cup of tea, obviously.
Post a Comment