Saturday, September 27, 2008

Lovin my "twin arms"

Long ago, when the babies were just tiny tots (giggle) I posted to a twin moms board I am on that it wouldn't be long before I was unable to heft both children at once to soothe them. They all nodded sweetly and patted me on the head and made mention of something called "twins arms". I went to my corner to sob about how I would soon be unable to calm both of my children at the same time.

Fast forward a couple months....

My arms are getting RIPPED! And everywhere I go I notice that Mothers of Twins have rock hard arms!

WOOT!

The unexpected joys of having twins never seem to end. My flabby arms are one of the things I hate most about my body (besides the Twin Skin on my stomach, but at least I can hide that--unlike my arms! it's Texas people, it's hot 9 months of the year!) and boy howdy are they a-changin! I'm not exactly flab-free. That's going to take months of not eating crap. But under the fat is an actively spreading area of muscle. And the bigger the two babies get, the better the arms look. Try carrying two car seats plus 15 pound infants around several times a day. Not to mention how often I'm lifting my 25 pound toddler and hauling her around as well. I do actually do bicep curls with the seats on purpose at least twice a day.

We've been going to the nature trails to walk this past week and while there are usually lusty cries of sleepiness wafting from the stroller on our way back to the van, they have been tolerating it fairly well. It's still a challenge to get out of the house with them all. I had some lady in the grocery store parking lot pull over to tell me I am SuperMom and give her hope she can some day handle her three. I grinned and told her that we were having a good morning. And we were. ;) To walk, I get out the double stroller, strap the least likely screamer into a seat, plop Isabella into the other seat, and strap the other twin onto my body in the Mei Tei. Then Noah and Hannah and I set off to explore. Sometimes Isabella gets to walk. She did on Thursday and had a ball looking at bugs and flowers and various other creatures (she was fascinated by the caterpillars we saw). I really do need another Mei Tei though so when both babies are screaming I can carry them without struggle. I also sometimes carry Izzy on my back if both babies are content. This is a rare occurrence.

All of this exercise is good for my health but mainly it's good for my sanity. We've been cooped up in the house entirely too much. It's tempting to stay in when getting them all out (and working around the Nap Schedule of Steel) is so difficult. But the sunshine and fresh air are good for all involved. And it sure is looking good on these arms!

3 comments:

Vanderklok Family said...

Woo hoo! Glad you are enjoying your twin arms. Lol.

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic that you're getting out more, the weather has been just perfect for nature walks. We'll have to find a place that halfway one of these days and get our crazy crew together.

Celeste said...

i'd love to read/see more of your strategies! as a first time mom, twin survival is developing slowly over here!
~celesterra (mdc)