Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Pounds Lost and Found

Cori came to visit and we all got looked over. And we all got weighed! First off, everyone appears healthy and well. Claire has gained 11 ounces and is up to a whopping 6 pounds 15 ounces. She should break that 7 pound mark....tomorrow! Ben gained a touch less at 8 ounces and is up to 7 pounds 12 ounces. This is the first time he's had less than a pound on his sister. She's catching up! As for me, I'm down another 6 pounds. The twins gained 1 pound 3 ounces together and I lost 6. That's math I like! ;-) This brings me to a total loss of 31 pounds in 2 weeks. I lost the first 20 pounds at birth. 14 of it was babies and another 5-6 of fluids, placentas, etc. Out of the other 11, I would bet a good 5 pounds of it was fluid retention loss. Swelling and extra blood volume and the like. This lands me at 8 pounds above my pre-pregnancy weight. I'd sure like that to be gone when we see her again in 2 weeks but then I fully expect to plateau.

We're nursing, nursing, nursing around here right now. I'm about as touched out as a person can be! My Mom cannot believe how much Ben is eating! He's hungry constantly. This should be fun in a few days when they stop nursing so much and my poor boobies are exploding with extra milk. I might even buy a pump and try to store a bit. I'm so excited that I am living proof that you can exclusively nurse twins. It's hard, don't get me wrong. It's a good thing formula is $28 bucks a can because it could be very tempting when I'm nursing for the 3rd hour in a row, rotating babies. But I'm so proud of myself for sticking in here and continuing to not supplement. I know it's best for them given our history of babies with issues digesting cow's milk protein and the superiority of human milk. It's a huge job, but I'll enjoy watching the scale continue to fall! :-P

6 comments:

Rixa said...

Way to go! Nursing one baby is amazing enough. And you're doing two!

earthmama said...

You are super mommy! Do you nurse them, for the most part at the same time? That's got to be a handful- but I imagine the let down would be quite a gusher (and a waste) if they weren't both "on" together??

CNH said...

I don't actually tandem nurse them a whole lot. It's easier, for sure, but logistically with Isabella trolling around looking for trouble I really need one arm free. Tandem nursing plasters me to the couch so I only do it when Dave or someone else is here with me or when the kids are in bed. Usually one wakes, eats, burps, gets a new diaper, eats again, burps again, and then the other wakes and is getting ready for their turn while I get the first one back to sleep. It's way more time consuming but it's working...for now. One thing I'm learning with raising twins is that you have to constantly stay flexible. What worked last week might not next week.

Abby said...

Congratulations on the weight loss :) I don't doubt that you can lose the 8 lbs easily nursing twins ;) I'm also amazed that you're doing so well with it. I will no longer complain about my 30 minute nursing sessions with my 17 month old ;)

Dianna@KennedyAdventures said...

go go nursing momma!!! We'll have to compare notes soon with nursing tips!
I'm jealous .... you've lost more weight than I have!!

Anonymous said...

I am a surrogate and am pumping for my surrotwins. They are just over three weeks old and have had breast milk only since my milk came in. It is an enormous time committment and I commend you. But I have to agree..the weight loss is wonderful.