Monday, June 23, 2008

Newborns No More!

The babies are almost 5 weeks old and I've noticed the Squawking Lumps have left us and there is cognition behind those sparkling eyes these days. Claire has always been more alert than your average newborn but Ben made a huge leap in the last couple of days. He's been purposefully engaging me with his face and eyes and has much more awake time that he did just last week. I feel like I'm really starting to bond with him! He's also not nearly as fussy. Last night he only woke once to nurse and he woke, ate, burped, ate some more, and then drifted off without any rocking, bouncing, or begging on my part. Boy I sure feel more rested this morning than I have since they were about 7 months gestation! I left my bed once last night, and that was just to pee.

I realized I have zero photos of me with my twins. Bleh. My husband is notoriously bad about taking photographs and since I'm the eye behind the lens 99% of the time this is a problem we often run into. I'm determined that I not lose another month with No Proof of Mommy's Existence. I will make him take some photos, including the requested babywearing ones, on Wednesday when he has a day off. Men!

Our new wakeful babies are settling themselves into a bit of a pattern. I won't dare say it's a schedule yet! But I do notice that they are waking, eating, staying up for a bit to look around and engage the family, eating again, going to sleep (Ben even puts himself to sleep most of the time), and then repeating the cycle after about 3 hours. Nice to have at least a little predictability around here!

Tomorrow is our first play date with the twins in tow! We're heading to our friend Jamie's house to stuff boxes full of goodies for soldiers! The kids are going to color some pictures to send (then probably tear apart her gorgeous play room) and I'm going to get to FINALLY meet Jonna and her identical boys!!!! I'm so incredibly excited! :)

8 comments:

Bridge said...

I have often contemplated that anyone who would get to know our family through our photo albums alone would think that I was some distant auntie or sitter...and that my husband was a single dad raising 3 kids alone.
LOL

Randi Fay Payton said...

Yay for predictability!!! We are getting a tad of that around here too. Although Idon't dare jinx myself. Right when I think we are making headway and sleep is around the corner, we hit a growth spurt and the boob stays out every hour for 50 minutes. :P course...I'm not complaining mind you-I have one nursling ;)

Jonna said...

Yeah!!

Christie said...

I can't believe they are already 5 weeks old!

Chelle said...

It's so hard to believe that they are already 5 weeks old! I'm glad to hear that they've kind of set themselves up with the S word! YAY!! You are doing a great job mama! Keep up the great work!! *HUGS*

RANT: MOTHERHOOD UNCENSORED said...

My daughter is 13 months old and I have 1 picture of us together and it's not even from a good angle & the lightings all wrong & I look like a sumo wrestler :(

On the other hand, there are about 10,000 gorgeous shots of papa & daughter (& papa with the rest of the crew) ALL OVER the house!

I feel your pain.

My other PET PEEVE? Either I resemble a swamp monster most of the time, or my husband simply cannot take a flattering picture of me! ARG!

You're doing great with your little family! Rock on! I can't believe you're already taking on play dates! Amazing!

Randi Fay Payton said...

rofl she said swamp monster..now that I can totally relate to. One baby or 4...tis a mom thang.

CNH said...

Oh yeah, I am totally the swamp monster. Usually I have to do my hair and makeup, get the camera, set myself up, hand it to him, tell him how much to zoom, make sure he's not got his fingers in front of my autofocus, then check it after he shoots it.

A tripod might be less work.