Have twins! Never a dull moment. OK, well, there are plenty of insanely boring moments when I realize I've actually been sitting in a chair nursing for over an hour without moving...but never any dull moments.
Wednesday we headed to our new family doc (whom I adore!) for a well baby check up. Mostly well, anyway. Ben and Claire both had congestion and fevers the weekend before and I had been suspecting that Ben might have an ear infection. At the time of the appointment, it had fluid behind the eardrum but did not appear to be infected as it was not red and bulging. The very next afternoon it ruptured and nasty green funk started oozing out. So I took him back in, got a prescription for antibiotic ear drops, acknowledged the 101 fever, and joked that popping was the best thing it could have done because the incessant screaming and not sleeping stopped instantly!
Oh, did I mention Claire is eating non-stop because she's having a growth spurt? And Ben started in on me today.
Going out with twins is like sticking a big, neon sign on your back that says "please, accost me!" Good grief! People were coming out of the wood work to see the babies. I'm sure it had something to do with the fact that A. I was out alone ("you're brave woman!") B. I had slung them both in the Moby Wrap ("Wow! You can get BOTH of them in there?!") and C. I breastfeed both (no comments to this, just stunned looks). I got all the usual questions:
Are they boys or girls?
when I say one of each
Are they identical?
which makes me think, just perhaps, folks don't understand types of twinning very well
Which one came out first?
Did you have a c-section?
when I reply I had them at home I get a shocked look and...
You had twins without DRUGS?!!
Yes folks, I know that seems hard but indeed it is possible
Ah, the fun of having twins!
5 comments:
Isn't life grand?? :) I'll be happy when people stop asking me if they ARE twins! I don't get it? Who would walk around with two infants if they weren't twins?? Do other people do that?
...which one came out first?
Did you just ask me a question about my vagina? Tell them they both came out at once. Is that too sarcastic? I am so proud of you for having those two at home. I often refer to my friend who had twins at home when people give me flack about having Ollie at home. That shuts em up real quick. The public is just a blast with new babies. I hope you weren't intending to actually get anything done out there! But by the way-in the midst of your crazy life...a pic of those two cutie pies stuffered in the sling together would be awesome to ooogle at. ;) Hope lil Ben gets that green goopy cleared up quick. Happy Nursing :)
I realize this amounts to joining the gawking crowds (so sorry) but I'd totally love to see a picture of you wearing your babies in the moby!! (I know, I know, there are other pics of other twins worn by their mamas... )
I remember getting a lot of the "you're brave" comments when I flew 'alone' overseas with my newborn and preschooler. Not that big an accomplishment compared to having and raising twins -- so take them as "I'm amazed what a good and competent mother you are" As well as they should be. Ha.
What about "you have your hands full?" That one is the one I get most often! Followed by "2 sets of twins?" to which I answer "not yet." That leaves people confused because they assume my boys are twins and that I'm pregnant with one. LOL Ahh, the joys of being a mom of multiples!
Too dumb.
I dont know why people cant just be kind and polite. Tell you they are beautiful, ask if you need any help with the door or whatnot, and then leave it at that!
sigh...
Post a Comment