Saturday, October 10, 2009

Six

Nope, not six kids. Six years. Six years tomorrow. Since I gave birth to my Hannah. It was a birth that did not go how I wanted it to. It was the birth that opened my eyes to what was wrong with the medical community. It was the birth that spurred me on towards midwifery (Noah was born 17 months later at home). It was the birth that I had my last real show down with my mother-in-law. It was the birth that brought me into the world of postpartum depression and which triggered my anxiety disorder. It was a chaotic and terrible time in my life, that year.

And through it all, I became stronger. Wiser. More determined and driven.

And I got my first daughter. My Mini-Me. My soul walking outside my body. Of all my children Hannah is the most like me but also the hardest to understand and relate to (wonder if that's how my loved ones feel about me?) Her auburn hair and cat-like eyes are something to behold. I absolutely adore her and yet sometimes she's a complete mystery to me. I wonder what the future holds for our relationship often. We missed a very important window of bonding and it did indeed affect us. I failed her on SO many levels and in so many ways that first year. And yet, I love her so much.

We had a little celebration last night for her because we're going to Dallas this weekend to celebrate--just the two of us. We can really use some time alone to just be together without the distractions of life and siblings. I also snapped some pics of her at the zoo on Friday. The lighting was too beautiful to not to even though she didn't have her hair done and was wearing an old sweater!

hannahsixthbirthday-2

hannahsixthbirthday-4

hannahsixthbirthday-3

The cake, made by My Simply Sweet here in Wichita:

hannahsixthbirthday-10

One to grow on:

hannahsixthbirthday-11

hannahsixthbirthday-12

hannahsixthbirthday-7

It was SO good!

hannahsixthbirthday-9

Birthday money is AWESOME when you're only six!

hannahsixthbirthday-8

Look how tiny she was just three years ago:

70330001.1

70330031

1 comment:

heather@it'stwinsanity said...

Happy Birthday Hannah! She is so beautiful, and she definitely takes after her awesome mama.