Friday, October 16, 2009

Ho Ho!

Tonight I took Hannah out to spend her $31 birthday dollars at SuperTarget. On the way there, I decided to stop at Hobby Lobby and look around for a craft for the not-sick children to do that relates to the lesson we're working on this week. This so happens to be the story "The Mitten" so naturally I was looking for some sort of mitten type crafty goodness. I found one at Oriental Trading but dammit if the shipping wasn't twice as much as the product and took a week to arrive.

Mitten crafts apparently don't exist at HL this year (sigh) but while wandering down the Christmas aisle I had an endearing and revealing conversation with my sweet almost-three-year-old, Isabella. As we walked past several glass statues of Santa, Izzy pointed and said "HO HO HO!" Chuckling, I said "Yep, that's what he says! That's Santa Claus!". Last year, Iz was barely two at Christmas and I dare say she was pretty nonplussed about the whole thing. This year she's much more cognizant and WAY more verbal. She furrowed her brow at me, shook her head, and said "NO Mama, that Ho Ho!"

Now, if you know my Ella (the child of the many nicknames among other things) then you know that she's absolutely the spitting image of me. The kid has a definite opinion on any and all things and she's stubborn as hell. We spent the next 15 minutes trying to convince her that his name was Santa and her insisting that he was Ho Ho. Finally, beat, Hannah and I took to just pointing out every single Santa item we saw so she'd giggle and say "HO HO!" It was darling. Right before we left, I went back down the Christmas craft aisle hoping I'd missed something of use and Hannah said "Santa, Iz!" and she said "Yeah! Santa!".

Which is darn sad. It was cute while it lasted!

No comments: