I know the twins understand a lot of what I say. They are bright and curious little babies but they really aren't talking much yet. I'm not fussed about this. One of the benefits of being the mother of many is that I've seen a lot when it comes to kids and I have a good radar for what is normal and what's not. I've had children on both end of the talking spectrum and I know the twins are fine.
But, it is nice to have kids that can talk. "Where does it hurt" being answered in WORDS and not SCREAMS is wonderful. At 18 months old, I know they are on the cusp of beginning the verbal journey. Benjamin says things here and there that are quite clear. Claire says the normal "mama" and "nana" for mom and nurse.
Today, however, I discovered that Claire has much more receptive language than I gave her credit for. Receptive language is, of course, the ability to hear and understand when someone else is talking to you. And around these parts, there is constant talking.
While changing Benjer this morning I realized that I had only grabbed one diaper by accident. Claire and her freshly changed bottom were standing right next to me and I, just sort of randomly and in no way counting on it happening said "Claire, will you get Mama a diaper for Ben?"
She toddled over to the empty diaper bag laying on the ground and investigated for a second and then when that held no prospects she continued on to the diaper pile, selected one, and brought it over to me. I was shocked! I praised her for being the big helper that she is and she just beamed!
I think the talking is right around the corner with these two. Which sounds nice but then I just contemplated the idea of six small children chattering at me in the car. *shudder*
2 comments:
I cling to the hope that they children will talk to each other more as they get older. I know, false hope but still ...
lovely! max is my big talker and it's always so surprising when shoghi gives me a taste of language i didnt know was there!
i don't know how i missed that your blog was public again... where did i go wrong, lol?
anyway, i'd love to talk to you more about the biting thing... i am having a really hard time dealing with it, and was so grateful for your comment. i just emailed a friend to see if there's a parenting coach around.
Post a Comment